fireworks halted after wind blows embers towards crowd
concerns over hot firework embers being blown towards spectators
caused an interruption to Burnham-On-Sea seafront fireworks display
on Sunday night (November 5th).
of people lined The Esplanade to watch the sparkling display as
part of the town's carnival festivities. Watch
video highlights here.
there were concerns that the strong north-westerly winds might blow
firework debris towards the crowds, leading to a 20-minute delay
to the start of the display.
were moved out of the B&M car park and from the front of the
Bay View Cafe on The South Esplanade to safer positions.
display finally started at 6.49pm - but then it abruptly stopped
at 6.57pm, mid-way through the event, when hot embers were seen
being being blown towards the edge of the exclusion area, as pictured
over the sound system informed the public near the jetty that the
crowds would have to be moved back further to maintain safety.
spectators said they were unable to hear the messages and left or
vast majority waited, as pictured above, and they were not disappointed
- the display re-started at 7.05pm and finished with a glittering
finale, accompanied by high booms over the sea, at 7.15pm.
Mayor Cllr Bill Hancock told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "We thank
everyone for their patience during a challenging evening because
of the gusts of winds."
quantity of debris was blown towards the edge of the exclusion zone,
so Skyburst, the company that runs the display for us, made the
right decision to halt the display for the public's safety while
the marshalls moved people back."
added: "The public's safety is of paramount importance to us
and the short delay meant everyone was kept safe. We thank Skyburst
and the marshalls for handling the situation so professionally."
Tosh, senior supervisor for Skybust, who was in charge of the
display, told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "The wind was our 'number
one enemy' and we had to move spectators out of the way for their
decided to pause the show when I saw the hot embers drifting towards
the crowds near the Bay View Cafe. When the people were moved back
we resumed and finished the display."
I think went well. I think we made the right decision to go ahead
and not cancel the whole event earlier in the day. It was the right
decision for the thousands of people who came along and for Burnham
as a town."
spoke to several spectators to get their reaction on how the display
Routley said: "For a free show we thought it was tremendous.
The delays didn't have any impact on us at all and we loved the
Malinson added: "It was a great event - the delays didn't bother
us and they did the right in thing in pausing the show if there
were safety concerns."
Riley added: "We were down near The Pavilion and couldn't hear
any of the announcements so people were confused when the display
stopped and many around us left, thinking it had finished. The council
needs to sort out the sound system next year. That said, the fireworks
edge of the safety exclusion zone, marked here with yellow tape,
was outside the B&M store in Old Station Approach. The exclusion
area also included the B&M car park and the area in front of
the Bay View Cafe on the North Esplanade.
estimated crowd of over 10,000 people watched the display, which
was fired from a scaffolding platform on the jetty. Over 2,000 sparkling
shots were fired into the air above the waves, accompanied by a
programme of modern music.
event, held on the night before Monday's Burnham-On-Sea
is overseen by Burnham-On-Sea and Highbridge Town Council and supported
by local businesses.
year's event sponsors included Home Farm Holiday Park, Positive
Wealth Creation, Highbridge Caravans, PJ Harris Funeral Services,
Holley and Steer, Round Tower Guest House and Newcombe Caravan Park.
were encouraged to give donations to the Rotary Club charity collectors.
Guide to 2017 Burnham-On-Sea Carnival
on in Burnham-On-Sea and Highbridge