opposes 'detrimental' plans for 33 new flats in Highbridge
to build a block of 33 flats at a prominent site in the middle of
Highbridge have been given a 'thumbs down' by town councillors this
a meeting on Wednesday evening (September 6th), members of the Town
Council's Planning Applications Committee unanimously voted against
the application for 1 Market Street, formerly the site of Canal
Andy Brewer, Chairman of the committee, told Burnham-On-Sea.com:
"We are concerned that this application represents an over-development
that would be detrimental to adjacent properties due to overlooking,
a loss of privacy and blocking light."
are also concerned that the application would result in a loss of
parking, given the number of spaces that was there before. We would
like to see new commercial or leisure facilities being introduced
as part of the development, not just flats."
heard concerns from local resident David Barrett, pictured, a local
business owner who lives next to the site.
told Burnham-On-Sea.com: "I and others have major concerns
about these plans. The proposed development would be over-bearing,
out of scale, and out of character in terms of its appearance compared
to existing properties and structures in the area."
would be an adverse effect on neighbours from overlooking, a loss
of privacy, overshadowing, noise, disturbance and very limited access
for one flat at Island House."
are already on-street and off-street parking problems in Market
Street, Highbridge Quay and Huntspill Road - this development would
generate high traffic volumes in the area. Access to emergency vehicles
would also be made very difficult."
added: "Like others, I believe that development does need to
be done on the site, but it needs to be done in the right way for
everyone - especially for the residents of Highbridge."
the meeting, pictured here, town councillors debated the application
before unanimously voting to object against the scheme.
first reported on the plans
last month in which New Shore Developments Ltd is seeking full
planning permission to build 33 apartments and parking spaces for
33 cars and 47 bicycles.
proposed that the development would comprise of market housing to
include 15 x one-bed flats and 13 x 2-bed flats. There would also
be social rented housing comprising of 4 x one-bed flats and one
x two-bed flats.
site has been empty since Canal House was demolished in 2012, as
reported here at the time. Last year, town councillors expressed
concern at the appearance of the boarded-up site.
planning permission for a development of 14 flats at the site was
granted in 2010, as we reported here.
District Council is welcoming feedback on the plans - application
reference number 11/17/00116 - until September 29th, 2017. Its decision
will ultimately decide whether the scheme goes ahead.