funding for Burnham-On-Sea bus service extended to July
County Council has this week given a new financial lifeline to a
bus service running between Burnham-On-Sea and Wells.
for the 67 bus service was due to run out in March but is to be
extended until July 21st to allow more time for a community-funded
replacement to be found with local parish councils.
service has been funded by the County Council since the collapse
of defunct bus firm Webberbus last year.
council's cabinet member for Highways and Transport, Cllr David
Fothergill, said in a statement this week: "Thanks to a lot
of hard work from parish councils, local members and council officers
a solution for a community-funded replacement is taking shape."
its complicated and there is still much to do to agree how
the funding from the parishes will work."
important that we have the time to go through this and come up with
something that everyone can agree on, and that is why we have put
this temporary funding in place."
delighted by the way communities in Somerset are coming together
to support a service that we are unfortunately not in position to
step in and fund."
council says that 'constructive discussions' are ongoing with local
councils to set up a replacement service, hence the extended funding
interim service starting on Monday March 7th will be provided by
Mendip Community Transport and another bus operator who has not
yet been announced.
details will appear on Burnham-On-Sea.com.